Each New Year, we wipe the slate clean and resolve to go to the gym more often and stick to a healthy diet. Fortunately, New Years resolutions come at the end of the indulgent holiday season. After a month of overeating, were ready to serious about health and fitness. But we must first clear two final hurdles: the alcohol and hors doeuvre-intensive New Years Eve party and the ode-to-football snackfest on New Years Day.
To get through New Years with your resolutions intact, follow these tips:
- When you arrive at a party, dont make a beeline for the buffet table. Focus on the people instead of the food. Take time to visit. Good conversation will help keep your mind off those tempting hors doeuvres.
- Give yourself permission to splurge a little but vow to return to your regular diet the next day. But remember, one splurge is not an excuse to fall of the wagon.
- To make sure there are healthy snack options, offer to bring some snacks to the party or host the party yourself.
- Dont party on an empty stomach. Before you leave home, take the edge off your hunger by drinking a large glass of water and eating a small protein-rich or high-fiber snack such as low-fat yogurt or a small salad.
- Make healthy food choices at the party. Shrimp, smoked salmon, fruit kebabs, veggie platters (take it easy on the dip) and raw nuts are healthy choices.
- Savor every bite. Youll eat less if you eat slowly.
- Cut alcohol calories by alternating alcoholic drinks with sparkling water or non-alcoholic beverages.